A Birth Center Is:
Birth Centers invite you to receive personalized, family-centered care from holistic, professional, health care providers.
Birth Centers are:
- People working together with you to meet your needs during pregnancy, birth, and early parenting.
- For healthy women seeking personal care and families wanting to be involved.
Birth centers include a team of highly qualified professionals from midwifery, nursing, obstetrics, family medicine, pediatrics, nutrition, social work, physical fitness, childbirth, and parenting education.
Birth Centers are a place that gives you a caring, warm, and home-like environment where you are supported and respected as well as safe and secure.
You will have a private room for giving birth where you can:
- Make yourself comfortable.
- Wear your own clothing.
- Eat when you feel hungry.
- Soak in a tub or have a water birth.
Birth centers welcome your children, your parents, and your friends so you can decide who will be with you or near you as you give birth.
Birth centers give you continuing support; holistic pain management; and information on infant care, breastfeeding, parenting, and family planning.
Integrated Part of the Health Care System
Birth Centers are part of the system of quality health care in many communities.
You receive a complete network of maternity and women's health services including:
- Laboratory, ultrasounds, and other diagnostic testing.
- Consultation with physicians as necessary.
- Transfer to a hospital if the need should arise.
Birth Center care is covered by most major health insurance plans.