The American Association of Birth Centers promotes and supports birth centers as a means to uphold the rights of healthy women and their families, in all communities, to birth their children in an environment which is safe, sensitive and cost effective with minimal intervention.
The mission shall be accomplished by:
- Fostering excellence in birth centers through development and evaluation of evidence-based standards of care
- Supporting the development of birth centers that subscribe to the AABC birth center model of care
- Encouraging all member centers to attain accreditation
- Serving as an information resource on birth centers
- Encouraging the participation of professionals, institutions, and families who support the AABC mission
- Working actively with associations that are interested in the provision of wellness oriented maternity services
- Influencing policy issues at the national, regional and local levels
A Time for Preparation
"Pregnancy is a time to prepare for the baby, as well as the birth, and the necessary but exciting changes that will be required in the woman's life, and in the lives of the baby's father and all members of her family."
-Judith P. Rooks, CNM, MPH