Access for All Our Military Families
Today TRICARE, the U.S. Military Health system, serves 9.2 million beneficiaries. We need legislation that expands TRICARE coverage to include adequate payment of ALL birth centers and the Certified Professional Midwife fees, and thus assure birth center care is accessible to all women with TRICARE coverage.
- TRICARE pays for the professional services of the Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM)
- TRICARE does not pay for the professional services of the Certified Professional Midwife (CPM)
- TRICARE pays for the facility service fee of some but not all birth centers
- In many regions, the TRICARE Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) do not pay for birth centers.
- In some regions, TRICARE reimbursement for the birth center facility service fee is inadequate to cover the birth centers’ costs, and therefore the birth centers are unable to accept TRICARE patients.
View TRICARE's Maternity Care Fact Sheet
- Everyone: Contact your legislators:
- Educate them about the problems military families are having accessing midwifery care in a birth center.
- Tell them we are in the process of drafting legislation to address some of these problems, we will be asking for their sponsorship.
Download a handout to share with your legislators.