Do you have new Congress people?
It's time to introduce yourself!
It's good to introduce yourself, even if you have done it before, to your Congress people. It is a new year and Representatives and Senators always like making a name for themselves. Wouldn't it be great if they visited your center this year?
We need your help!
When you contact your legislators and make your presence known, you are telling your Congress people about the importance of birth centers. The more they know about you, the more likely it is that they help you. It's easy. We have provided you with sample text (see below). Simply customize with basic information on your center and email or fax this to your Representative and Senators.
Tell me what to do...
- Identify your Congress people - not sure who they are? Go to opencongress.org, enter your zip code and voila!
- Click on a Congress member's name and you will be taken to his/her page.
- On the right side of the page, you will be able to choose either a contact webform, email or fax to send this message.
- Please do not send printed or hand written letters. The mail in Washington, DC is terribly slow.
- Cut and paste the below text into your preferred method of delivery and send it along.
- Don't forget to tell Karen Fennell, our lobbyist, who you contacted so she can follow up!
SAMPLE TEXT for email or fax:
Dear Senator or Representative (last name):
Welcome to 2015! Whether you are a new member of Congress or a seasoned veteran, I am writing to introduce you to our birth center. Birth centers are a home-like environment for healthy, low-risk women to give birth. They are staffed by licensed and qualified providers, mostly midwives, that offer quality prenatal, intrapartum and postpartum care. We are governed by national standards that reflect quality assurance and have a strong relationship with other community health agencies for complimentary services.
Birth centers are located all across the country and our birth center is valuable part of your constituency. has been open for <#> years and has served almost <#> families. Birth centers like ours provide superior health outcomes at a lower cost. We welcome you to visit and tour our center to see how our model of care is superior.
I can be reached at or please feel free to contact Kate Bauer, Executive Director of the American Association of Birth Centers at 215-234-8068 or firstname.lastname@example.org.