Now is the time to tell your Congress people about your birth center!
It is a new year and a major election year. Even if your Representatives and Senators are not on the ballot, they always like positive media coverage. Wouldn't it be great if they visited your center this year? Good publicity for them, GREAT publicity for you!
Why this is important!
When you contact your legislators and make your presence known, you are telling your Congress people about the importance of birth centers. Healthy mothers and babies are a non-partisan issue. The more they know about you, the more likely it is that they help you when an opportunity arises. It's easy. So call and invite your legislators to see what you really do!
Tell me what to do...
- Your Congress people's phone numbers and addresses are in your profile on our website.
- Call their office, ask for a health care liaison or their scheduler.
- Use the sample text below to help guide your conversation.
- Invite them for a visit and tour.
- Invite some mothers and babies to be on hand for the visit for photo opportunities with legislators.
- Don't forget to email or call the AABC national office to say that you made the appointment and don’t forget to send and post pics of the visit on social media for the world to see.
- AABC will feature your photos of legislators’ visits this year on the AABC Facebook page!
SAMPLE TEXT for phone, email or fax
Dear Senator or Representative:
Welcome to 2016! I would like to introduce you to [or reacquaint you with] our birth center________________. Birth centers are a home-like environment for healthy, low-risk women to give birth. We are staffed by licensed and qualified midwives, who offer quality prenatal, intrapartum and postpartum care. We are governed by national standards that reflect quality assurance and have a strong relationship with other community health agencies for needed services.
Birth centers are located all across the country and our birth center is valuable part of your constituency. has been open for <#> years and has served almost <#> families. Studies show that birth centers like ours provide superior health outcomes at a lower cost. We welcome you to visit and tour our center, to meet some of our families, and to see how our model of care is improving the health of mothers and babies, while lowering healthcare costs in our state!
I can be reached at or please feel free to contact Kate Bauer, Executive Director of the American Association of Birth Centers at 215-234-8068 or email@example.com.
Since you’ve made this resolution why not check it off of the list!!