Advocacy to reduce barriers to birth center care.
Best Practices in Birth Center Regulations
Regulatory complexity represents a potent barrier to entry for new birth centers and a substantial administrative strain on existing centers, and there is no evidence it enhances safety. States can remove structural barriers and address inequitable access to the birth center model of care by modernizing their birth center licensing regulations, or by introducing appropriate regulations where none exist.
AABC has developed the Best Practices in Birth Center Regulations toolkit which provides draft regulatory language, fact sheets and other implementation support.
Comments on Birth Center Legislation and Regulation
AABC provides comments and consultation to groups working on birth center legislation , and Departments of Health drafting rules for birth center regulations.
Recent activities include:
- AABC Comments on Draft Birth Center Regulations (2023)
- Joint Organizational Letter re Draft Birth Center Regulations (2023)
- AABC Comments on Draft Birth Center Regulations (2022)
- AABC Comments on Draft Midwifery Birth Center Regulations (2023)
- AABC Comments on Draft Midwifery Birth Center Regulations (2019)
- AABC Comments on Draft Midwifery Birth Center Regulations (2018)
- AABC Comments on Legislation to Remove the Certificate of Need (CON) Requirement for Birth centers (2023)
If you would like assistance regarding birth center regulations, please contact AABC.